[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Strides

Wink The Strides

Hi Guys, I'm looking for the thread from a few years back that concentrated on the group/musicians The Strides who recorded on M-S Records. Any help appreciated. Regards - Dave Moore

I think our own member StuBass was in the Strides, so I hope he will come on the forum and tell you their history. And I hope my memory is correct.

Hi Guys...Yes, I was a member and bandleader of The Strides. The members consisted of lead singer tenor Charlie Clark [[later replaced by Curtis Gadson...aka Darin, when Charlie got drafted into the army), baritone Curtis Durden, 2nd tenor David Abrams, bass singer Cornelius Brown, and tenor Solomon Toney [[whose brother keyboardist Kevin Toney lives here in L.A. and I'm in touch with out here. i suppose one could say we were one of the best "Temptations wannabe groups" around town in the late 60's. we did sign a contract with MS [[Martin/Snyder) records and released the single I Can Get Along Without Your Love from a track cut by Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore. The group lasted for a few years in the late 60's, and we did a lot of performances backed by several local musicians I had put together. One memorable experience was performing for the 101st airborne at the State Fair Grounds band shell during the 1967 "Civil Disturbances" lol...I believe that a couple of the guys went on to form the group CJ & Company in the 70's. Lots of fun stories that come to mind. sadly, some of the guys have deceased, including the recent passing of Sol Toney RIP. Most of the guys were from Northeast Detroit and attended Pershing H.S....

PS...Lee...I met Marcy on a trip to Detroit last year and was made aware of the clothing drive for Pasteur students which I have happily participated in...

Hey Stu! Thanks for that, we fellow alum and former neighborhoodites have got to stick together! Glad you met with Marcy; did you tour the school? Don't be afraid, a lot of things have not changed; you can see yourself in the school 40+ years ago...If you and Bruce can, don't forget about our Christmas baskets that we will do in December...take care!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  21.1 KB
    Are those Toneys related to Detroit songwriter, Norma Toney?

Hi Robb...
    Not to my knowledge. The children in the family were Sol, Derrick [[who played trumpet with our 13 member band that played on the Velgo songs like the Gwen Owens stuff), a sister Cheryl, and Kevin [[the baby of the family lol) who went on as a member of Blackbyrd and also as a solo jazz artist based here in Southern California. I reminded Kevin that I was at his house when his mom gave him his first electric keyboard for a birthday or Christmas...and Kevin was maybe 13 years old...

Hey StuBass; did the Toneys come from our neighborhood?

Hi Lee...The Toneys lived on Charest St near 7 mile and Dequindre area...