[REMOVE ADS]

Shirelles Vocal Ranges

Could anyone help here? I believe lead singer Beverly Owens Alston was an alto and Beverly Lee a soprano. Does anyone know the vocal ranges of Micki Harris and Doris Coley? Thank you.

If my memory serves me right and that's a little shaky these days, Doris Coley was a soprano...She was the foolish one on Foolish Little Girl...BTW, great subject for a thread...

I don't know the answer to the question either, however, Shirley Alston Reeves is still a frequent performer on the oldies circuit.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    If my memory serves me right and that's a little shaky these days, Doris Coley was a soprano...She was the foolish one on Foolish Little Girl...BTW, great subject for a thread...
    Beverly sings the "But I love him" line in FOOLISH LITTLE GIRL.

Doris sang lead initially.

No, I'm sorry, Reese is probably right I think. My memory failed me; got their voices mixed up. I have to admit I never knew the Shirelles voices as well as I did my other favorite girl
    groups, i.e. The Cookies. I'd like to see a concise breakdown of who sang what of them.
    Dedicated To The One I Love is a Doris lead isn't it? Help a member out here, please....

No, I'm sorry, Reese is probably right I think. My memory failed me; got their voices mixed up. I have to admit I never knew the Shirelles voices as well as I did my other favorite girl
    groups, i.e. The Cookies. I'd like to see a concise breakdown of who sang what of them.
    Dedicated To The One I Love is a Doris lead isn't it? Help a member out here, please....
    Yes, Doris sang lead on DEDICATED..., as well as BLUE HOLIDAY, and some other album tracks.

Actually, Beverly Lee sang the high parts on "Foolish Little Girl."

Yes, we got that, dvdmike...If you read through your thread you'll see reese corrected my
    "senior moment" 5 posts ago and made evident Doris is apparently the groups second alto.
    That leaves Micki but I can't hear her right now, my ears are elsewhere....

As I think about it, I like Doris's voice better than Shirley's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFpOlUlH2g Doris on lead on Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.

Such a feel good song. As a child, I didn't grasp what the song meant and although I love the song, I'm surprised they were allowed to record it being the times we were living in then.

I used to wish that Beverly got more leads when I heard her in Foolish Little Girl and Last Minute Miracle [[which should have been a much bigger hit) I think it was too fast. Shirley Alston was a good lead and when I heard Doris I was shocked at how good her voice was. Micki was a great performer and she was the energy the group needed.

Did Micki ever sing a lead?

Yes, Micki sang lead in "live" performances like on the "live" lp on Scepter called Spontaneous Combustion--James Brown's "I Feel Good".