[REMOVE ADS]

Super Rare! Etta James Performs on "Happening '68"!

Whoa - thanks marv2 for telling us about this!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Whoa - thanks marv2 for telling us about this!
    You are welcome Mark! Anytime! This is a great piece of historical music footage. I had never seen it before.

Etta will always been in my Top 5 female artists. Not only can she rock your soul but she's one of the best vocal stylists when it comes to singing a ballad. Her work with Harvey Fuqua is legendary. She was another female who was influenced by Jimmy Scott, she recorded many of the songs he recorded too.

Etta & Jimmy ~
    Name:  Jimmy Scott & Etta James [[WinCE) [[Small).jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  22.3 KB

S.S.

really cool, thanks for posting...LOVE Etta James!I kinda remember that TV "special" or it was a special Where The Action Is type thing with Mark Lindsey & Paul Revere hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    really cool, thanks for posting...LOVE Etta James!I kinda remember that TV "special" or it was a special Where The Action Is type thing with Mark Lindsey & Paul Revere hosting.
    I think it was a Dick Clark series, but don't quote me. I've seen clips of the Pips performing I WISH IT WOULD RAIN and GRAPEVINE on this show as well.

cant watch it in the U.K.

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Marv2. Etta is one of my top 3 female vocalists. Great clip. I've never seen it before.

~~Mary~~

Gotta love this recording but I found out today that it was written and originally recorded by Clarence Carter as "Tell Daddy." Etta used the identical arrangement and made it a hit.
    Here's a link to the original:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmcZNSxiAo

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think it was a Dick Clark series, but don't quote me. I've seen clips of the Pips performing I WISH IT WOULD RAIN and GRAPEVINE on this show as well.
    Yeah it was a series that use to come on Saturday afternoons for like 2 seasons between 1968-69. I remember the show, just not this particular performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I found out today that it was written and originally recorded by Clarence Carter as "Tell Daddy." Etta used the identical arrangement and made it a hit.
    Here's a link to the original:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmcZNSxiAo
    Wow ! Thanks for this Mowest I didn't know it !

The clip of Etta is cool but I don't like lip-syncing, I prefer by far when the artists sing live, like on this one from the fantastic show The!!!Beat :

great find marv

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    great find marv
    Thanks Kev! You know what I'd love to find is video footage of Miss Bettye singing "Doin' The Best That I Can"!

The things that woman could do with her voice! Thanks for posting that live clip, Phil. Dang, I
    need to see more like that...She actually sings with more fire than the backing band can match and this without the back up chorus of the original recording. Oh it must be love indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    The things that woman could do with her voice! Thanks for posting that live clip, Phil.
    You're welcome Splanky ! You can see that song -and plenty of them - on the 6 DVD's box-set made by Bear Family about the great southern show The !!!! Beat : http://www.offbeat.com/2005/12/01/va...y-records-dvd/

The backing band is lead by Clarence Gatemouth Brown and most of the performances are live. Here are the details on DVD # 1 : http://www.bear-family.com/en/dvd-vi...1-5-dvd-0.html

Thanks Marv & Phil. In mho, she should have been dubbed the Queen of Soul. [[Ducking for cover.)