[REMOVE ADS]

Maxine Powell, Motown etiquette instructor, dies at 98

O Lord, we beg of You, through Your loving kindness, have mercy on the soul of Ms Maxine Powell, and now that she is set free from the defilements of this mortal flesh, restore her to her heritage of everlasting salvation with her Father in his Heavenly mansion. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Roberta

A class act who gave the Motown stars class.

Rest peacefully, Maxine. You're every much a legend as the great Motown acts.

Very beautiful words for a very gracious lady. Mrs. Maxine Powell was one of a kind. The world is just a little darker today with her leaving us. Heaven, however, is brighter today with Mrs. Powell. She was loved by so many of those associated with Motown. Either an artist or a fan they all love her.

Penny

@Roberta75, What a beautiful prayer. You are surely one with Jesus Christ. Blessings, Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @Roberta75, What a beautiful prayer. You are surely one with Jesus Christ. Blessings, Kenneth
    Thank you my dear and God bless you and yours.

Roberta

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    I heard about this a hour ago.
    My heart is heavy RIP Miss Powell. I will be praying for her friends and family.

Well none of us came here to stay.....May GOD comfort her family.

Teary eyed and speechless here!

Diane Ross and Mary Wilson and Berry Gordy on Mrs Powell passing.

Posted: 10/15/13, 4:45 PM EDT |

Motown great Diana Ross has released a statement about the passing of Maxine Powell:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013101...-Maxine-Powell

"Girls growing up in underprivileged areas, need to know their worth and their value. I was born in the Brewster housing project and meeting Maxine Powell showed me that there was the possibility of beauty, grace, integrity and meaning to my life. The wisdom she shared with me and all of the young artists at Motown will never be forgotten. She was the true example of a mentor and coach and just someone who cared about us.
    I also hope to be such an example as I live my life. We will truly truly miss her."
    Diana Ross

Mary Wilson:
    One of our Motown mentors has passed on. Ms Maxine Powell who showed us how to be Graceful, by telling us we were Diamonds in the rough and that they were just there to polish us. What a beautiful thought to pass on to young people.
    Touch
    Mary Wilson

Berry Gordy
    "She brought something to Motown that no other record company had," Gordy said in a statement Monday. "She was a star in her own right — an original. She will always be remembered for her style and class, and she instilled that into the Motown artists by teaching them how to walk, talk and even think with class."
    Last edited by Roberta75; 10-15-2013 at 05:37 PM.

supremester Guest
    Lovely sentiments from all - especially Roberta. Thank you all.

On the life and death of Maxine Powell--

From the Washington Post:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/ob...45b_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Lovely sentiments from all - especially Roberta. Thank you all.
    thank you my sweet dear.

Roberta

smark21 Guest

She sounded like someone I would have liked to known or at least met. The passage of time can be sad.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    She sounded like someone I would have liked to known or at least met. The passage of time can be sad.
    But how blessed to live such a rich life and then go home to Glory at 98 years.

Roberta

Sorry to hear this.

From the various but brief interviews I saw of her, she seemed quite a character!

Cheers

Paul

Maxine Powell's Funeral today 10/18/13:
    It was a dignified, refined occasion worthy of the Maxine Powell name.

The late Detroit personal development instructor and life coach, best known for her work with Motown Records, was memorialized today during a two-hour funeral at Hartford Memorial Baptist Church.

“She would have loved it,” the Supremes’ Mary Wilson said afterward. “She would have been very proud.”

Wilson, the Velvelettes’ Cal Street and Motown Museum chairman Robin Terry were among the 100-plus on hand for a service overseen by the Rev. Charles C. Adams, with a eulogy given by his father and Powell’s pastor, the Rev. Adams.

Also on hand were Motown arranger Paul Riser, singer Caroline Crawford and members of the Contours. Crawford [[“Precious Lord”) and Street [[“His Eye Is on the Sparrow”) performed during the service and the recessional [[“Going Up Yonder”).

Friends fondly remembered Powell as a woman who lived the class and elegance she taught for a living, hailing her as a figure who helped shape Motown’s public image — and thus, the image of black America writ large. Among her private students was future Miss USA Carole Gist.

They also emphasized that the elderly Powell never stopped teaching, still instructing young women on the proper way to sit, speak and exit cars. Even ahead of her death Monday at Southfield’s Providence Hospital, Powell was distributing her business cards to hospital personnel.

In a prayer, the Rev. Adams said God had used Powell “to smooth out the rough edges in your sons and daughters.”

Diana Ross’ youngest sister, Rita Ross, read a public statement issued by her famous sibling, noting that “the wisdom she shared with me and all of the young artists at Motown will never be forgotten.” Terry relayed thoughts from her great-uncle and Motown founder, Berry Gordy Jr.

A resolution from Detroit City Council, presented by councilwoman Brenda Jones, celebrated Powell as “a pioneer of black enterprise in Detroit” for her modeling and finishing-school endeavors. The City Council also celebrated Powell’s activism in helping to racially integrate the modeling rosters at Detroit auto shows.

Wilson recounted Powell’s work with the teenage Supremes, whose stage moves and self-confidence she helped refine.

“We all were touched by this woman’s knowledge of the gifts that God gave us,” said Wilson.

WDIV-TV [[Channel 4) reporter Paula Tutman had attendees chuckling with her tale of Powell’s final TV interview, conducted by Tutman after the infamous Miley Cyrus twerking performance at August’s MTV Video Music Awards. Tutman said Powell was dismayed by the young pop star’s “booty” display and sternly advised Cyrus to mind herself.

Beverly Bantom, a close friend who was frequently at Powell’s side in recent years, spoke of her friend’s upbeat spirit through her final days, including her signature voice mail greeting: “Hello, beautiful person!”

Also in attendance were representatives of local organizations that boasted Powell’s membership, including the Detroit Lions Club and the Red Hat Society, a women’s auxiliary whose members served as flower bearers for the day.

Burial followed at Detroit’s Woodlawn Cemetery, with a reception scheduled afterward at the Roostertail Club — an event planned by Powell herself, in one final salute to fine living.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013101...motown-funeral

Contact Brian McCollum: 313-223-4450 or bmccollum@freepress.com
    Last edited by stingbeelee; 10-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.

One thing about Mary Wilson,she don't just talk,the talk,she shows up,and don't get it wrong,i'm not sayin' the ones,that didn't show are bad either,i'm just saying MARY WILSON CLASS ALL THE WAY,R.I.P MISS POWELL.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    One thing about Mary Wilson,she don't just talk,the talk,she shows up,and don't get it wrong,i'm not sayin' the ones,that didn't show are bad either,i'm just saying MARY WILSON CLASS ALL THE WAY,R.I.P MISS POWELL.
    I would have been surprised if Mary had not attended. She really loved Mrs. Powell. Mary sang at the reception.

Maxine Powell looking lovely, as usual:

Attachment 7337

Does anyone know if any of Ms. Powell's relatives are still living ?