[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Henry Lumpkin

Henry Lumpkin

I know this guy worked with Smokey at Motown in the early 60's and had a few good tracks released. I guess he cut a lot more stuff at Motown than actually escaped at the time.
    Then he turns up 3/4 years later on Buddah, working with ex Motown guy Bob Bateman [[+ Lou Courtney). His later stuff was most likely cut in New York but his Motown stuff was cut in Detroit [[I believe).
    I know he went out on lots of Motown artist shows in his 'Detroit years' and even went on a Hitsville tour. He got lost in the shuffle at Motown though, as many artists did.
    APART FROM THE ABOVE .... and liking some of his records ... I know very little about him. Where was he from and what became of him ?? Was he a young guy during his Motown spell as I suspect and if so, how come he never sustained his singing career into the 70's ?

I too agree that little is known about him. In Motown: The Golden Years by Bill Dahl, there is a small amount of coverage on him. According to Mr. Dahl, he is quoted as saying "the late..." So obviously he is deceased. The story tells some quotes about the records that he had released in 1961-1962. It goes on to tell how he resurfaced on Buddah in 1967. Motown history tells little information about him and I have never seen a picture of him in any book or story that has been published on Motown. Has anyone?

RossHolloway Guest
    In the liner notes to TCMS Volume 2, Gino Parks is quoted as saying that "He sort of resembled Chubby Checker. Same heftiness and everything. We were a little older, he was still a teenager at the time." The liner notes for his song Mo Jo Hanna, Andre Williams is quoted as saying, "He kind of looked like Cassius Clay - a great big light-brown skinned boy". It looks like he left Motown before November 1962.

RossHolloway Guest
    Great find Carole Cucumber!

Thank you Carole.