[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

On the subject of gowns.....

The gowns that the Supremes wore is always a fun topic to discuss and I am wondering:

I tried thinking of some instances where the Supremes or the DRATS [[pre-1970's) wore the same set of gowns for different television appearances.

It seems to me they wore the black and white "ink spot" gowns on Sullivan and wore them on "T.C.B." as well.

I also think they wore the gold lame' gowns from their final Sullivan appearance just a month earlier on "G.I.T.".

I know that these gowns were expensive and cost thousands and thousands of dollars, but I am surprised that they would be recycled for such high profile appearances.

topdiva1 Guest
    More than likely by that time - Diana did not want to spend more of her money on gowns that she would leave behind. The cost of the gowns came out of the girls pockets - Motown did not pay for them. Thus with Diana in her latter days as a Supreme, she was not going to spend more money.

But I could be wrong.

TopDiva
    I am sure your dead on, it was time to start building gowns for her solo appearances and since Diana was leaving them behind I always wondered if she was reimbused for them. Probably not and she probably didn't really care at this point.

I understood when they reimbursed Florence for gowns charged to her that were ordered and being manufactured right before she was dismissed that she never wore that ended up with Cindy but I doubt they would give Diana any money back unless the same thing happened to her, which it didnt seem to since they were recycling looks at the end and the JMC Right On cover was old gowns as well. I would be curious though if Mary and Cindy got charged in part for outfits only made for Diana like her different looks for the G.I.T. "Leading Lady" medley....

Good question glen; I wouldn't think that they would be charged, unless all of the gowns that were made for that particular show were sold as a "package".

What I also wonder is: Mary has been able to keep hundreds of Supremes gowns over the years, I wonder if Diana has ever kept any of her most famous "costumes" such as the red pantsuit from Central Park.....

the girls wore the outfits multiple times. I think it was just more of a situation of what's clean, what isn't off being repaired, what do we have with us on this specific tour. odds are they didn't travel with every single outfit. they would take a batch at a time, while others were at the cleaners, back at designers getting repairs done, etc. tv appearances were scheduled in the midst of tours and other appearances. so when the girls did Ed Sullivan in 12/69 and wore the gold lame, it's probably just because they happened to have that set with them at the time, among 6 or 8 others.

In total, during the DRATS years they had 25 or so gowns to work with during the years. plus the 8 or so hold-overs from the Flo era.

now back to the topic

they wore the gold "right on" gowns on the hollywood palace during their 1st stint as hosts. wore them again on Ed Sullivan for Impossible Dream

orange and yellow pantsuits - I know they wore this during Someday on their last Hollywood Palace appearance. not aware of another tv show but there's shots during their farewell tour pics in these outfits. as were the pink rhinestones from TCB, Queen mother show and the farewell tour. they were also on the TCB cover art [[inside pic) and the farewell cover shot on the box set. same with the silver and blue/green No Matter What Sign U R pantsuits.

the 70s sups rewore these silver pantsuits on Smokey Special. the butterflies from TCB re-appared on Pearl Bailey special. the multi-color halters from Tennessee Ernie Ford reappeared on Kate Smith during Bad Weather

the beige chandeliers were on Tennessee Ernie and then again on cover of Talk of the Town

same with the black velvet with paisley - on the GIT special and again for the final farewell.

the black beaded gowns were repeated on Ed Sullivan Forever Came Today and Tonight show Somewhere when MLK died

As for Diana - i did read that lots of her outfits have been stored. however given the tenure of her career, i'm sure lots have been sent to some sort of gown graveyard lol

topdiva1 Guest
    Mary Wilson it appears purchased all the gowns available over the years - as she needed them for The post Diana Supremes - I would believe that Diana is a great business woman and did recieve payment for the gowns she left behind - I do not believe she would have donated over one hundred thousand dollars of designer gowns that she wore. And it would have been cheaper for all concerned to buy them and alter them for the next girl _ I believe as one writier wrote - Mary wore Diana;s gowns and Mary's slightly larger gowns got altered to fit Jean Terrell.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the girls wore the outfits multiple times. I think it was just more of a situation of what's clean, what isn't off being repaired, what do we have with us on this specific tour. odds are they didn't travel with every single outfit. they would take a batch at a time, while others were at the cleaners, back at designers getting repairs done, etc. tv appearances were scheduled in the midst of tours and other appearances. so when the girls did Ed Sullivan in 12/69 and wore the gold lame, it's probably just because they happened to have that set with them at the time, among 6 or 8 others.

In total, during the DRATS years they had 25 or so gowns to work with during the years. plus the 8 or so hold-overs from the Flo era.

now back to the topic

they wore the gold "right on" gowns on the hollywood palace during their 1st stint as hosts. wore them again on Ed Sullivan for Impossible Dream

orange and yellow pantsuits - I know they wore this during Someday on their last Hollywood Palace appearance. not aware of another tv show but there's shots during their farewell tour pics in these outfits. as were the pink rhinestones from TCB, Queen mother show and the farewell tour. they were also on the TCB cover art [[inside pic) and the farewell cover shot on the box set. same with the silver and blue/green No Matter What Sign U R pantsuits.

the 70s sups rewore these silver pantsuits on Smokey Special. the butterflies from TCB re-appared on Pearl Bailey special. the multi-color halters from Tennessee Ernie Ford reappeared on Kate Smith during Bad Weather

the beige chandeliers were on Tennessee Ernie and then again on cover of Talk of the Town

same with the black velvet with paisley - on the GIT special and again for the final farewell.

the black beaded gowns were repeated on Ed Sullivan Forever Came Today and Tonight show Somewhere when MLK died

As for Diana - i did read that lots of her outfits have been stored. however given the tenure of her career, i'm sure lots have been sent to some sort of gown graveyard lol
    WOW you really did your homework on this.

I believe the Black & White Striped gowns that Diana, Mary and Cindy wore in mid to late 1967 were originally fitted for Diana, Mary and Florence.

The gowns from the Florence era that were carried over to the Cindy era were:

- The white diagonal "lightning strikes" gowns
    - The pink beaded tops with bow gowns
    - The red sequin and beaded gowns
    - The yellow/green caped gowns [[worn on Ed Sullivan - "The Happening")
    - The white beaded top & pink gowns [[live photo of Diana wearing it on "Reflections" album. Also live photo of Diana, Mary and Cindy wearing them on the Mexican version of the "Reflections" album.)
    - The pink chiffon gowns [[worn on Ed Sullivan - "My Favorite Things")
    - The white beaded top gowns with fur coats [[worn on Rodgers & Hart Special)
    - The white beaded neck and chiffon gowns
    - The white beaded & black chiffons gowns [[worn on Sammy Davis special with the Andrews Sisters)

I'm sure there are more, but we don't have the pictures to see which ones.

...orange and yellow pantsuits - I know they wore this during Someday on their last Hollywood Palace appearance. not aware of another tv show...
    They also wore these pantsuits on the Smokey Robinson special from 1970. But they had big bows at the neck instead of the emblem seen during the Diana days.

i didn't know they wore the orange ones on Smokey. was that during the medley period where all of the guests sang smokey songs? i believe the girls did my guy and don't mess with bill. never saw this portion of the special

Brad - you mention the white beaded with pink gown Di wears on the Reflections lp cover. which one is this?

also brad, on the back of the Reflections lp there's the pic of just Di. she's wearing the Guitar Strap gown, as i call it lol. any info on this one?

i didn't know they wore the orange ones on Smokey. was that during the medley period where all of the guests sang smokey songs? i believe the girls did my guy and don't mess with bill. never saw this portion of the special
    They wore them during the finale.

Sup_fan, it's the one with Diana's arms in the air holding the microphone.

Here is a picture of the gowns with Cindy wearing them:

Name:  Pink & Whtie gowns.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  10.0 KB

i'm trying to remember flo in these. they almost remind me of the chartreuse ones that they wore on Hullabaloo for I Hear A Symphony.

Sup_fan, here is a picture of Diana, Mary, and Florence wearing the same gowns as the live picture with Cindy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wanna know what DMC wore on their final apperance on the Tonight Show and what they sang...

MissLish Guest
    Tracee has reported that Miss Ross still has all of her costumes and that they are archived and organized.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Tracee has reported that Miss Ross still has all of her costumes and that they are archived and organized.
    Thanks Miss Lish. I also recall one of Diana's daughters mentioning that she [[Tracee?) wore one of Diana's vintage Halston's to some gala.

topdiva1 Guest
    Well, in my interview with Tony Turner - he stated that the Ross gowns are housed on the third floor of here mansion in Connecticut - which he stated was rented out, at present, he believed.

another drag queens holy grail - to spend a day playing in that gown room too!! I know I'd be up for it!!!! Any other takers? lol Mary Brewster, we can have a dress up party hehehehe

Brad - that's very interesting about those gowns. I've labeled all of those pics as the chartreuse ones worn on Hullabaloo. On the box set from 2000, there's a small pic of the girls. mary and di are laying down almost and Flo is standing, looking back over her shoulder. are those the pink ones or the chartreuse ones?

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Well, in my interview with Tony Turner - he stated that the Ross gowns are housed on the third floor of here mansion in Connecticut - which he stated was rented out, at present, he believed.

LMAO! Again with the interview? Post it or STFU la diva; enough already!

Tracee did say the gowns are stored by Diana in a storage unit and archived in boxes with a photo taped outside each one. [[Out.com interview)

Just curious, TopDiva, did Tony say when was the last time he spent time with Miss Ross, the last social visit in Glittered was 1970 then seeing her at the funeral of Flo in 1976 but no mention of any interaction there. Certainly he ran into her during his Mary Wilson employment but what about since then?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Thanks Miss Lish. I also recall one of Diana's daughters mentioning that she [[Tracee?) wore one of Diana's vintage Halston's to some gala.
    A while back, one of the tabloids ran a photo of Tracee wearing one of her mother's Hollywood Palace outfits to some event. It was the outfit Diana wore when she and Stevie Wonder sang I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME.

Mary's gowns are also in archival boxes with names and photos of each gown taped on the box along with archival numbers.

In the summer of 1967 Cindy was asked to select 12 costumes belonging to the Flo era - we have photos of her wearing 11 of these - the 12th being the set of tuxedos [[not the Ed Sullivan ones). They were selected with the criteria of being current and in pristine condition. None of Flo's gowns required any alteration for Cindy. In the Spring of 1968 when the new image Micheal Travis gowns were firmly eastablished, the crossover gowns and the rest of Flo's 1965/66/and early 1967 gowns amounting to 28 sets of 3 went in to storage in Detroit. In 1972 when Motown moved to Los Angeles the iconic gowns went missing, leaving Mary with only post Flo era gowns [[the Primettes gown and the pink chiffon tiered creation are fakes in her exhibition.) Nine sets of post Flo gowns were lost in the 1974 Mexico fire and the 'Snowstorm' pantsuits were stolen in 1973. Mary has almost everything else 1967-1977, with the odd set not yet accounted for.

Over the years 3 sets of Flo era gowns [[1965-1967) have been offered for sale on E-bay, which the fans bought and returned them to Mary. These consisted of the 'Rock Candies', the Hawaain Fantasies' and the 'White De-minks'. Two other pristine sets of Flo era gowns [[65/66) were displayed at the Henry Ford Museum in the 1990s which consisted of the 'Shimmering Sweethearts' and the 'Midnight Blue' halters. The red 'Shimmy' fringed gowns shown in Rock Cafes are also re-makes. There are currently 23 of the Flo mid-60s era gowns missing. It is believed that a handful of the gowns which were in for renovation, were looted from the cleaners during the Detroit riots in 1967 before the building was torched. Flo requested her gowns back as part of her settlement but this was not honoured. Hope this clarifies.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Supremecouture View Post
    In the summer of 1967 Cindy was asked to select 12 costumes belonging to the Flo era - we have photos of her wearing 11 of these - the 12th being the set of tuxedos [[not the Ed Sullivan ones). They were selected with the criteria of being current and in pristine condition. None of Flo's gowns required any alteration for Cindy.
    So if I read this correctly, then Cindy, the new member, was picking out what gowns the act would continue on with when she joined the act?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They also wore these pantsuits on the Smokey Robinson special from 1970. But they had big bows at the neck instead of the emblem seen during the Diana days.
    emblem? I think the word you might be reaching for is Brooch.

uptight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I know that these gowns were expensive and cost thousands and thousands of dollars, but I am surprised that they would be recycled for such high profile appearances.
    A set of outfits become part of the act no matter where the group plays, high-profile appearances notwithstanding. This is with most groups. It wasn't so much "recycling" the clothes as it was presenting a consistent look with their act. And why not get the most out of them, what with their cost? Only hard-care fans would remember that the girls wore a particular gown on more than one TV appearance nowadays. I'm sure they wore them in their regular stage shows as well [[not televised). Since there was no home video recording for everyone to scrutinize the groups' stage uniforms so closely, it probably wasn't an issue at the time.

Miss Ross has a set of gowns in her current show that are part of the tour. It's what ticket buyers pay good money to see.

In the summer of 1967 Cindy was asked to select 12 costumes belonging to the Flo era - we have photos of her wearing 11 of these - the 12th being the set of tuxedos [[not the Ed Sullivan ones). They were selected with the criteria of being current and in pristine condition. None of Flo's gowns required any alteration for Cindy. In the Spring of 1968 when the new image Micheal Travis gowns were firmly eastablished, the crossover gowns and the rest of Flo's 1965/66/and early 1967 gowns amounting to 28 sets of 3 went in to storage in Detroit. In 1972 when Motown moved to Los Angeles the iconic gowns went missing, leaving Mary with only post Flo era gowns [[the Primettes gown and the pink chiffon tiered creation are fakes in her exhibition.) Nine sets of post Flo gowns were lost in the 1974 Mexico fire and the 'Snowstorm' pantsuits were stolen in 1973. Mary has almost everything else 1967-1977, with the odd set not yet accounted for.

Over the years 3 sets of Flo era gowns [[1965-1967) have been offered for sale on E-bay, which the fans bought and returned them to Mary. These consisted of the 'Rock Candies', the Hawaain Fantasies' and the 'White De-minks'. Two other pristine sets of Flo era gowns [[65/66) were displayed at the Henry Ford Museum in the 1990s which consisted of the 'Shimmering Sweethearts' and the 'Midnight Blue' halters. The red 'Shimmy' fringed gowns shown in Rock Cafes are also re-makes. There are currently 23 of the Flo mid-60s era gowns missing. It is believed that a handful of the gowns which were in for renovation, were looted from the cleaners during the Detroit riots in 1967 before the building was torched. Flo requested her gowns back as part of her settlement but this was not honoured. Hope this clarifies.
    Now, this is the kind of posts I stay on this forum for. Thank you, Supremecouture! You wouldn't mind me asking about your sources to this wonderful detailed info about the dresses? Just a hint will do.

Having said that, I always get confused comparing names of dresses with pictures of them, since English is not my mother tongue and I am not a tailor or otherwise known with terms in haute couture
    Is there anywhere a site where pics of the dresses are shown, next to the names they are usually given? At the same time, it seems that the names vary every now and then...

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    LMAO! Again with the interview? Post it or STFU la diva; enough already!

Perhaps, but you may find it quite shocking and moving as it is not filled with any bashing at all

topdiva1 Guest

WELL NOW - since the Flo gowns did not require ANY alterations for Cindy - that kills the long standing urban legend that FLO WAS FIRED BECAUSE SHE WAS FAT - NOW WHAT!!!!

miss_lish Guest
    Miss Lish was told that Flo was fired before Miss Ross and Berry took out a contract on her life. Sadly, the order had already gone out, and we've all witnessed the results.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    ROTFLMFAO. What didn't you cover with Viscountess Turner? That interview must be longer than Tolstoy's War and Peace.

Post the damned interview already.

topdiva1 Guest
    The Diana Ross and The Supreme gowns are a major part of the history of the group.

revvy Guest
    I wonder if Scherrie and Lynda got to keep their gowns from Return to Love. I did see Diana wear the yellow one during one of her own concerts in Europe and I did see a backup singer on a Diana tour wear Diana's black lace gown that DLS wore on VH1 Divas 2000.

Dear God....reading those old topdiva posts gave me the heebie jeebies!

This seems like a good place to put this reminder:

The Mary Wilson Supreme Gowns Collection is on display at The African American Museum in Philadelphia, PA. Now extended through August 18th.

http://aampmuseum.org/index.php/page/overview-10

revvy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Dear God....reading those old topdiva posts gave me the heebie jeebies!
    Enjoy them and be sure to let us know where to send the flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    Enjoy them and be sure to let us know where to send the flowers.
    Not to worry....I ran for the hills!

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    I wonder if Scherrie and Lynda got to keep their gowns from Return to Love. I did see Diana wear the yellow one during one of her own concerts in Europe and I did see a backup singer on a Diana tour wear Diana's black lace gown that DLS wore on VH1 Divas 2000.
    Good question! My favorite gowns from RTL were the hot pink bell bottomed pantsuits. LOL; well, I guess they're not gowns......

It's a shame they couldn't have been passed down to the FLOs.Scherie and Lynda sure have gotten their money's worth out of their current costumes.

I really liked those green furry/feathery type gowns from the Diana, Scherrie and Lynda line-up. Can't find a picture of them anywhere unfortunately.

supremester Guest
    What a treasure trove of info! It's my understanding that the group was a business and the gowns, an asset. Whenever a member left, the assests were divided 3ways and the gowns were reimbursed for. At some point in the 70's - I'm guessing with the contract in '75, I think Mary became the sole propritor of Supremes Inc and the others were salaried. I will find out and report back.

Who designed the beige chandelier gowns???

Whoeverr it was deserves a Lifetime Acheivement Award....
    those gowns rock----HARD!!

What an awesome red carpet moment THAT would make today!!!
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 05-24-2013 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvHangOva View Post
    Who designed the beige chandelier gowns???
    Michael Travis designed them. It's a shame they were lost in the fire in Mexico. They really would have been a centerpiece of Mary's exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

Michael Travis designed them. It's a shame they were lost in the fire in Mexico. They really would have been a centerpiece of Mary's exhibit.
    Okay, I don't know which gowns are called what so I should probably have my Supremes card taken away.... when did they wear the beige chandelier gowns? Which ones were they?

Thommg, the chandelier gowns are on the cover of live at the talk of the town. I've seen a video clip where Diana slinks into a room from the rear of the theatre on her way to join the Supremes on stage in this gown. It looked awesome "in action" like on the talk of the town cover.... But also looked very regal and elegant when she slinked down the aisle in it ...as only Diana can!!
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 05-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.