SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
[REMOVE ADS]

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    The Supremes - "Nathan Jones"

    Was "Nathan Jones" by the Supremes ever performed on tv? Per my other thread, Ed Sullivan *may* still have been on the air by the time this was released, but certainly there were other variety shows for Jean, Mary and Cindy to showcase their latest hit.....

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Was "Nathan Jones" by the Supremes ever performed on tv? Per my other thread, Ed Sullivan *may* still have been on the air by the time this was released, but certainly there were other variety shows for Jean, Mary and Cindy to showcase their latest hit.....
    marybrewster....here's a small list from the SDF archives of the 70s Supremes tv performances..."Nathan Jones" is on the list.

    Festival at Ford's Theater '70
    the Pearl Bailey special '71
    David Frost show '71
    Supersonic show '75 or maybe '76
    Dinah '76 where they sang Let Yourself Go
    Bob Hope special '73
    Tonight Show (maybe 71 singing Nathan Jones)
    Merv Griffin '71 doing Nathan again
    Merv Griffin '72 Floy Joy
    Soul Train '77 Let Yourself Go & Driving Wheel
    Dick Cavett '72

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    marybrewster....here's a small list from the SDF archives of the 70s Supremes tv performances..."Nathan Jones" is on the list.

    Festival at Ford's Theater '70
    the Pearl Bailey special '71
    David Frost show '71
    Supersonic show '75 or maybe '76
    Dinah '76 where they sang Let Yourself Go
    Bob Hope special '73
    Tonight Show (maybe 71 singing Nathan Jones)
    Merv Griffin '71 doing Nathan again
    Merv Griffin '72 Floy Joy
    Soul Train '77 Let Yourself Go & Driving Wheel
    Dick Cavett '72
    They appeared on the Dinah Show 4 times, twice in 1976 and twice in 1975. The were also on:

    Sammy & Friends
    The Nancy Wilson Show
    The Flip Wilson Show (3 times)
    Supersonice (in late '75)
    The Sonny & Cher Show
    The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour
    American Bandstand
    Soul Train (4 times)
    The Tonight Show in '75
    The Bob Hope Special ( April '73)
    The Kate Smith Special
    The Scene (Detroit 1976)
    The Glen Campbell Show
    The Andy Williams Show
    This Is Tom Jones
    The Mike Douglas Show (3 times)

    There were other appearances as well such as singing the National Anthem at the Ali- Lyle fight , for a nationally televised NFL game, The Model of the Year Special ,etc, ec
    Last edited by marv2; 10-01-2013 at 09:27 PM.

  4. #4
    yes the girls sang Nathan Jones on the Tonight Show. i have the audio of this in a Sup program that Midnight Johnny did. while the girls did a good job, the live band was terrible. it was the Tonight Show band trying to approximate the backing track of Nathan Jones. understandable that it might suffer from the original

    and as a correction to the tv list, the 1977 show of Soul Train featured Driving Wheel, You Are the Heart and Come into my life. it was rumored to have included Let Yourself Go but it didn't

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yes the girls sang Nathan Jones on the Tonight Show. i have the audio of this in a Sup program that Midnight Johnny did. while the girls did a good job, the live band was terrible. it was the Tonight Show band trying to approximate the backing track of Nathan Jones. understandable that it might suffer from the original

    and as a correction to the tv list, the 1977 show of Soul Train featured Driving Wheel, You Are the Heart and Come into my life. it was rumored to have included Let Yourself Go but it didn't
    That was night Joe Namath hosted (the Tonight Show), right? The airdate I found was
    May 5, 1971.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-01-2013 at 09:32 PM.

  6. #6
    I saw the Tonight Show that night when Joe Namath hosted and The Supremes did do Nathan Jones. I remember the band made a false start and Jean had asked them to start again. I believe they wore those hot pants outfits. Personally I wished they would have lip synced because live just took so much away from that song. I was told years ago that the tape of this no longer exists. Most of you have probably seen the picture of Merv Griffin presenting them with a gold record for Nathan Jones. That show I didn't know about. That was a fantastic record.

  7. #7
    Thank you all for the information.

    I am shocked that for all of the "rare" viedo that has surfaced over the years, this performance has not. Surely someone would have seen it by now.

    What a shame.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I saw the Tonight Show that night when Joe Namath hosted and The Supremes did do Nathan Jones. I remember the band made a false start and Jean had asked them to start again. I believe they wore those hot pants outfits. Personally I wished they would have lip synced because live just took so much away from that song. I was told years ago that the tape of this no longer exists. Most of you have probably seen the picture of Merv Griffin presenting them with a gold record for Nathan Jones. That show I didn't know about. That was a fantastic record.

    Nathan...I do agree with you. They really never should have done it live because it would have been virtually impossible to duplicate the awesome sounds that Frank Wilson created in the studio.

  9. #9


    Could this have been the Merv show where the Supremes sang "NJ"? It's listed as 1971.....

  10. #10
    I think it would be great to hear Cindy Mary and Jean harmonizing live for Nathan Jones. Did anyone ever see them do it concert?

  11. #11
    on that Merv Griffin episode where he presented their Nathan gold record they actually performed lived Floy Joy

  12. #12
    Yes i did,when they,The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean came to Chicago,at The Palmer House,Nathan Jones is a song i never liked,but i love seein' them do it LIVE,it seem like a big production number,it was big lights going,the three part harmonies was something i had not heard,from the Supremes in a long time,yes the harmonies on Nathan Jones was really BEAUTIFUL live,and let me tell you Mary and Cindy can light up the stage,with Mary bein' the best dancer,Mary looked like she was having the time of her life,yes The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean were GREAT,a CLASS ACT all the way,Please stay positive
    Last edited by REDHOT; 10-04-2013 at 12:56 AM.

  13. #13
    Nearly all of the pre-1972 Tonight Shows were wiped by NBC. It's possible Motown has copies of their appearances in their tape archives. Footage from their May 1967 appearance was in one of Diana's TV specials. They also had appeared on the show in April 1968, and March 1969. Not sure of other appearances prior to their 1967 appearance.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Nearly all of the pre-1972 Tonight Shows were wiped by NBC. It's possible Motown has copies of their appearances in their tape archives. Footage from their May 1967 appearance was in one of Diana's TV specials. They also had appeared on the show in April 1968, and March 1969. Not sure of other appearances prior to their 1967 appearance.
    I think they might have also appeared on the show somewhere around the first Copa engagement.

    I read that much of what survives from the 60s are edited reels that the show put together when they wanted to be considered for Emmys. In recent years, appearances by Sam Cooke as well as Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell have surfaced. Hopefully, some of the Supremes pre-1972 appearances will show up as well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to SoulfulDetroit!
You are invited to join in a Discussion of Detroit Soul Music and History, past and present.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
[REMOVE ADS]