[REMOVE ADS]

The Motown Women: a Pimps Paradise

*disclaimer* I did NOT make this video, LOL; just found it on YouTube.

I'm certain this hasn't been posted before, as I KNOW there would have been a LENGTHY discussion....so.....let the flood gates open.....

Disgusting and common and real offensive imo.

Roberta

Well the internet is free and has many defamatory, mean things on it posted by ugly, miserable people. Sometimes it appears on this Forum too.

And we know there are people around that dislike Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, Martha Reeves and Mary Wilson. Looks like this person doesn't care for Martha especially.

It's just some garbage; I didn't bother watching it all.

A lot of truth in the piece ... though Diane fans woun't like it at all.

I saw this a couple years ago. Didn't like it.

What a cheesy, bizarre piece. The film never makes the connection between a real pimp and what Gordy or others did with their female singers. Unconvincing, flat and mean spirited.

On a lighter note, if this guy thinks the Supremes dressed like prostitutes, then he never drove down Woodward Ave. at night in the summer time! I'm pretty sure Marv would back me up on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a cheesy, bizarre piece. The film never makes the connection between a real pimp and what Gordy or others did with their female singers. Unconvincing, flat and mean spirited.

On a lighter note, if this guy thinks the Supremes dressed like prostitutes, then he never drove down Woodward Ave. at night in the summer time! I'm pretty sure Marv would back me up on that one!
    Oh I wouldn't know.....I was in Sunday School all the time......hehehehehehehe!!!!

I had heard about Motown gals turning tricks and never paid it any mind until an actual Motown gal who shall remain nameless mentioned it to me [[not about herself, naturally, but about a couple of others). Thus, I don't know what to think and I don't really care one way or the other. My past is a bit checkered as well. Judge not, lest ye be judged and all that. It certainly has nothing to do with the music.

I heard this was true of Zola Taylor when The Platters toured Europe and they suffered a bad rep for it. [[?)

Do not know if there is any truth in it. It came from a music manger/producer from the east coast.

S.S.

WOW! Is this a new low for the forum. Motown as a brothel.
    No matter what Berry Gordy JR. achieved, there are lowlifes still hating on him, trying to pull him down. I think all of the women of Motown should be insulted. Damn, if they were attractive, talented and ambitious, they were nothing more than glammed up prostitutes, according to this sleaze. Sad that some people actually believe this crap, but they do think Diana Ross, Martha Reeves, Freda Payne and others slept their way to success.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-26-2013 at 03:28 PM.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    WOW! a new low for the forum.
    No matter what Berry Gordy JR. achieved, there are lowlifes still hating on him, trying to pull him down. I think all of the women of Motown should be insulted. Damn, if they were attractive, talented and ambitious, they were nothing more than glammed up prostitutes, according to this sleaze. Sad that some people actually believe this crap, but they do think Diana Ross, Martha Reeves, Freda Payne and others slept their way to success.
    I am half way throught the Bettye Lavette book,she would have you believe that most of our girls were Groupies Tammi Yvonne Fair,Diana ,Aretha honestly im considering whether to carry on reading,maybe put in trash with Mary's Dreamgirl book, Bonkers.

You're right, jsmith, the author of that video has a valid point. Although the term "pimp" may be offensive or over the top, it accurately describes business of almost all types.

I believe he used the analogy to illustrate his point in ways that most laypeople can understand, and will pay attention to.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-27-2013 at 04:30 AM.

I agree that a pimp's mentality can be applied to a lot of business endeavors...making or getting the money or your money is a goal. I'm told pimps and prostitutes were attracted to entertainers and the flash of show business and that some female singers did associate with pimps while male singers and musicians often dated strippers, prostitutes, etc. Sex happens wherever men and women co-mingle. I see it on my job in the school system. Somebody is always whoring or pimping their way through a situation. When my dad ran his newspaper, he frowned on fraternization, but couldn't stop it. I dislike it too. I tell my female students to rely on their brains and talent to get over, not their asses. If they want an A, they are going to earn it by impressing me with their brains, not by flirting and flattery. My older musician friends like Rev. Al did say at times in their careers they were helped along or kept by pimps and prostitutes, but they also worked hard to help themselves.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    I am half way throught the Bettye Lavette book,she would have you believe that most of our girls were Groupies Tammi Yvonne Fair,Diana ,Aretha honestly im considering whether to carry on reading,maybe put in trash with Mary's Dreamgirl book, Bonkers.
    honestman, in all honesty, I felt at times the way you do when I read the book recently. what got me through was the triumph of the human spirit. Admittedly, I could have done without a lot of the specific information regarding the artists. Marys book came out in the mid eighties, sadly we have become so accepting of the unusual that all of the innuendo does not raise an eyebrow.

smark21 Guest
    I remember finding this clip a few months ago. I could only watch a couple of minutes of it. Whoever made it is really fixated on the topic of pimps and prostitutes to a very unhealthy degree. I wouldn’t be shocked if the videomaker hires girls off Craigslist or some other website, murders them and dumps their bodies.

I'm actually glad to hear that Motown wasn't Virgin territory.

At least they all lived, had a good time and a few made a ton of money.

It is the others that are generally the angry ones.

I'm with jobeterob on this. This actually doesn't defame what Motown did because other labels did ten times as worse. I read the Womack brothers [[all five of them) were turned out at young ages by women. Don't know if it was by Sam or whatever but that's what I've always read. The video's message is not entirely clear anyways.

Very odd video - are they suggesting that the women mentioned were actual prostitutes? Or just treated like them? Or both? One thing did grab my interest, though [[assuming it's even correct); Martha's quote about "Come and Get These Memories" being for Berry and what "used to be" - where they an item at one time? PS: if you want more crazy, just check out the rest of their videos http://www.youtube.com/user/watchNpraydotNet/videos

I won't bother to read such stuff.

edafan

so I have to sing and be a prostitute ? That's too much work !!!!

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    I can't say I'm shocked....This is unfortunately considered normal in the industry

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations Guest
    I got the feeling that they were at one point
    Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Very odd video - are they suggesting that the women mentioned were actual prostitutes? Or just treated like them? Or both? One thing did grab my interest, though [[assuming it's even correct); Martha's quote about "Come and Get These Memories" being for Berry and what "used to be" - where they an item at one time? PS: if you want more crazy, just check out the rest of their videos http://www.youtube.com/user/watchNpraydotNet/videos

Who cares?

some equally deranged nonsense about aretha from this person

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    some equally deranged nonsense about aretha from this person

This is getting more than a little weird for reasons I won't even talk about. I had seen these videos by this person very shortly after they were upload but never felt they were right to go on the forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is getting more than a little weird for reasons I won't even talk about. I had seen these videos by this person very shortly after they were upload but never felt they were right to go on the forum here.
    I agree, Marv, I saw them long ago, but didn't dignify them with a thread here. All parties involved have been informed of their existence, whether attorneys were contacted, I don't know, but that's all there is to that.