[REMOVE ADS]

Sandra Philllips --- piece on her LP reissue.

Some good publicity here for the fine old Sandra Phillips album .......
    by all accounts, for a while back in 1970, Sandra did gigs that were booked as being by Doris Duke .....
    She is also well known in NS circles for her recording of the Jobete song "World Without Sunshine"

The piece on her album ....
    http://www.popmatters.com/post/sandr...-album-stream/

Sandra's acting credits ...........
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0714191/

........ AND ...... she went funky for her last 45 release ........

Sandra Phillips was in Black & Blue in Europe. She was also in The Preacher's Wife but had no lines, but she's in one of the church scenes. She brought the house down when she sang Lean On Me in the Morgan Freeman film of the same title. I liked her voice better after she got older and it deepened. She sounds very different on the few tracks I sampled.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-27-2013 at 04:11 PM.

She also replaced Aretha in the musical SING MAHALIA SING.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Some good publicity here for the fine old Sandra Phillips album .......
    by all accounts, for a while back in 1970, Sandra did gigs that were booked as being by Doris Duke .....
    She is also well known in NS circles for her recording of the Jobete song "World Without Sunshine"

The piece on her album ....
    http://www.popmatters.com/post/sandr...-album-stream/
    This sounds like a 1990s re-recording by Ian lavine. It sounds very little like her original Broadway 45 [[which sounded a LOT more like a Motown cut)..

Sandra was also in the Off Broadway and National tour of One Mo' Time, the New Orleans musical. She was fantastic [[I worked the show when it played in Washington DC) in the show and a generous and sweet woman off stage. When I was in New Orleans this summer for Jazz Fest, she joined Vernel Bagneris and others [[who had performed the show) in a salute to One Mo' Time. They recreated performances and did most of the songs in the show, along with some other New Orleans classics. She was, once again, fantastic, as was the entire 2 or so hours we spent in that tent.