[REMOVE ADS]

FREE SOUL. the classic of MARVIN GAYE : CORE COLLECTION?

What I mean by CORE COLLECTION is a release that contains something not found elsewhere. Therefore a completist collector must have all CORE COLLECTION releases.

I was listening to "FREE SOUL. the classic of MARVIN GAYE", released in Japan on January 20, 1999 as Motown POCT-1610, and noticed something I had never noticed before :
    "You sure love to ball" has a count-in [[albeit less than 2 seconds).
    By 1999, I don't think there were any altenates of that track released.

Has this count in appeared elsewhere since the FREE SOUL cd? I wonder...

Anyway, this is a great compilation cd to listen to; the way some songs from WHAT'S GOING ON segue into the other is interesting

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    What I mean by CORE COLLECTION is a release that contains something not found elsewhere. Therefore a completist collector must have all CORE COLLECTION releases.

I was listening to "FREE SOUL. the classic of MARVIN GAYE", released in Japan on January 20, 1999 as Motown POCT-1610, and noticed something I had never noticed before :
    "You sure love to ball" has a count-in [[albeit less than 2 seconds).
    By 1999, I don't think there were any altenates of that track released.

Has this count in appeared elsewhere since the FREE SOUL cd? I wonder...

Anyway, this is a great compilation cd to listen to; the way some songs from WHAT'S GOING ON segue into the other is interesting
    Don't know about Marvin, but the Diana one was completely pointless. A rather random Motown collection of a-sides and album tracks. Nothing very exciting and just another of the many Japanese comps over the years that have re-hashed the same material.

jbpintus,

That countdown appears on my U.S. 1995 Gavin Lurrson mastered CD of the "Let's Get It On" album on the Motown Master series. It should be common.

BTW, "core" catalog means the very opposite of what you describe. A core catalog means that of which is the most important, most popular songs an artists has.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Soulster, we both are right concerning the "core" thing.
    It's just a matter of point of view, hence my attempt to clarify what I meant by "CORE COLLECTION"

I am a completist collector and have thousands of Motown CDs. And many are pointless ones. The important CDs for me are the one that have something not found elsewhere, thus I call them core.

Back on topic, I've hated the LET'S GET IT ON album until the 2001 release if the deluxe edition. Thanks to it, plus my readings of Ben Edmonds and Steve Turner books on MPG, I've understood how that album had to be listened to to be really appreciated. Even if its still not my favorite album of all time, this is one I get back to quite often, and I listen to it with pleasure.

My 1994 cd had barely been played before 2001 and maybe not played at all since the deluxe edition was released. So it's a pure joy to discover I have an alternate LGIO on my shelves for nearly 20 years without knowing it!

As for the FREE SOUL CDs, I had bought in 1999 the JACKSON 5 one which included 2 Jermaine tracks not found elsewhere at the time, plus some major sonic upgrades for some J5 tracks. The MOTOWN 70s FREE SOUL CDs, released much later gave us some unheard on CDs gems - MoWest Thelma Houston comes to mind...

Hence when I found the MG volume a couple of weeks ago for nearly nothing, I decided I should give it a try.

In the end, no it's definitely not core at all, but still is a pleasant listening experience.
    And it has now a story attached to it for me. It is the key that made me [[re)discover I had something special in the middle of my 10 different cd editions of LGIO. :-)
    Last edited by jbpintus; 09-23-2013 at 03:47 PM.