[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye 5 Classic Albums

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4YSDLA?...SIN=B00F4YSDLA

Looks like more of the same old same old, but at least it shows that the Motown re-issues will continue in the U.S.

What are the albums? Doesn't say

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    What are the albums? Doesn't say
    I don't know which albums are included but the fact that it says''classic'' would mean to me that these are albums that have already been released on cd in the past.

A reviewer here lists the albums - yes, all previously released:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Classic-Al...classic+albums

LIVE!
    I WANT YOU
    THE BEST OF MARVIN GAYE, VOL. 1: THE '60S:
    THE BEST OF MARVIN GAYE, VOL. 2: THE '70S:
    WHAT'S GOING ON
    Last edited by calvin; 09-14-2013 at 12:04 PM.

I've bought these enough times

they're always trying to expand the audience,casual listeners, the new generation, the MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL crowd;
    figure they can shift a few more copies of everything..welcome to the music business!

This set was first issued in the UK back in September 2012, and is still available. A set on Stevie Wonder was issued around the same time also.

Looks like Universal followed the examples of the Warner and Sony sets with this one. Universal also released some others [[you can tell by the cover designs which of these are in the Universal series):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...classic+albums

I thought the appeal of the Warner and Sony sets is that they're a cheap way for someone who has little [[perhaps a greatest hits collection) or nothing from an artist to pick up some of the old LPs on cd at a very low price. The 2 greatest hits cds in this Marvin box seem out of place to me, many potential buyers of such a box will already have a greatest hits compilation. And the price is not really low like the Warner and Sony sets. In fact, one can buy each of these 5 cds individually from third-party sellers on Amazon UK for about the same cost as buying the box - so most people who want these cds at this price probably already have them.

It also doesn't help that they don't make it clear to online buyers which 5 cds are in the box and you have to rely on an Amazon reviewer to tell you. The Warner & Sony boxes have small pictures of the albums within so you can see.

No wonder this box doesn't seem to be selling well.

Sony and Warner have also led the way with box sets of the complete albums from artists. Now we have these "Complete Motown Album Collection" sets coming out for Marvin, Diana, and the J5 [[discussed in another thread). Let's see if Universal can get these right. [[Not that I'm planning to buy those either - I guess I already have everything that will be included in them.)
    Last edited by calvin; 09-15-2013 at 03:15 PM.