[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Liza hugged the cops and the players. Diana Ross touched NOBODY. It's like she didn't want to mess uo her extnesions or something, she couldn't even shake the hand of any person coming to or from the plate.
    During rehearsals Diana did "touch" people. Here are some memories that people shared of this night.

In the late afternoon I had to get out of my office so I went up to my box from which I would watch the game. I was sad and wanted to be alone. I looked down on the field and there was a gospel group getting set up to rehearse with Diana Ross. They were to sing "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch. I sat there as they prepared wondering what the night would bring. I didn't know whether the stadium would be a target for the terrorists so soon after the 9/11 attacks. I wondered how many people would show up for the game. I wondered if life would feel this scary forever.

Then they started to sing. Diana Ross and these kids started to sing "God Bless America." I watched as Ms. Ross sang with passion and truth. She went from person to person and touched each singer's face with a gentle touch, letting them know they were safe. She looked in each of their eyes and made it clear that they were all going to be OK.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/09/10/re...-brought-ever/

There was a moment that took place on the field before our first game back after 9/11 that will always stay with me. Diana Ross was rehearsing before the game with the gospel group she was performing "God Bless America" with that night. While singing, she went from person to person in the gospel group touching their faces as they were signing. It was an emotional time and that, to me, was such an emotional moment. Then the game that night was capped off by the dramatic home run by Piazza to win it. It felt like a win, not only for the Mets but for the whole of New York City.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=shea/080926
    Last edited by skooldem1; 09-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.