[REMOVE ADS]

Possible Roadmap for Future Diana Ross Recording

I am so happy that Diana Ross has been reconnecting with her fans across North America during her current tour. Perhaps she is due for another studio recording. The demand certainly is there. Where to go from here?

May I humbly suggest a reflective look back at her past by revisiting some of her past hits like "Reflections" with the wisdom that age has brought on. A controversial suggestion for sure, but maybe a reconciliation with Mary Wilson, with the woman dueting on "Where Did Our Love Go."

Lamont Dozier has released a collection of his compositions with stripped down musical accompaniment and it was stunning. Marianne Faithful's "As Tears Go By" is another fine example of going back to reflect on love and time past. I'm currently listening to an 80 year Petula Clark taking on "Crazy" and her stunning remake of "Downtown," and am in awe with the rich layers to be found there.

Sometimes a look back can be just as rejuvenating as a bold leap forward.

I would love anything like this but I'm not sure it is in the cards. I'm not sure she wants this enough anymore. And I think they are hard to market because, generallly, I don't think there are sufficient sales in these kinds of projects.

But here's hoping.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    I am so happy that Diana Ross has been reconnecting with her fans across North America during her current tour. Perhaps she is due for another studio recording. The demand certainly is there. Where to go from here?

May I humbly suggest a reflective look back at her past by revisiting some of her past hits like "Reflections" with the wisdom that age has brought on. A controversial suggestion for sure, but maybe a reconciliation with Mary Wilson, with the woman dueting on "Where Did Our Love Go."

Lamont Dozier has released a collection of his compositions with stripped down musical accompaniment and it was stunning. Marianne Faithful's "As Tears Go By" is another fine example of going back to reflect on love and time past. I'm currently listening to an 80 year Petula Clark taking on "Crazy" and her stunning remake of "Downtown," and am in awe with the rich layers to be found there.

Sometimes a look back can be just as rejuvenating as a bold leap forward.
    I would love for DR to do a project again with HDH, and use the remaining Funk Brothers for that special feeling and record it all in Detroit to recapture all that magic they all once had.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I would love for DR to do a project again with HDH, and use the remaining Funk Brothers for that special feeling and record it all in Detroit to recapture all that magic they all once had.
    Awesome idea. And have Mary and Cindy and maybe the other Supremes there.........even if they are only adding some babys and oohs, especially if they aren't really able to be very involved. She could even have the Andantes do something.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    awesome idea. And have mary and cindy and maybe the other supremes there.........even if they are only adding some babys and oohs, especially if they aren't really able to be very involved. She could even have the andantes do something.

this is all fantasy thinking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    probably

but wouldn't it be nice before cindy ends up wheelchair bound or worse?

alanbill1074 Guest
    She already tried this. Nile produced a whole album of new versions of The Supremes hits but no record label would take it.

I've never heard that before, alanbill1074 - when did this happen?

This is news to me as well, alanbill1074. I wonder if you aren't thinking of that British Disco label, Almighty which released a digital format Diana Ross/Supremes remixed dance set.

alanbill1074 Guest
    No I'm not. She mentioned it in a UK interview about 8 years go, called "nobody wants me". She played the tracks to EMI who declined to release them.

The remaining Funk Brothers working with Diane? Not a chance in ............!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    Total fantasy! LOL!!!!

Unfortunately, there are only three surviving Funk Brothers [[Eddie Willis, Joe Messina & Jack Ashford). Jack still performs as does Eddie, but I believe Joe has retired from performing.

I recall Diana saying that EMI wasn't interested in releasing the re-worked Supremes tunes she did with Nile. This was sometime in the 2000's.

Nile Rodgers may be fairly easy to reach out to on the net. I'm going to attempt to contact him to see if he will verify if he did indeed work with Diana, and what songs they worked on. Surely that can't be "privileged information!"

But just because EMI nixed his Diana Ross HIts Remixed project, doesn't mean that it wasn't any good. Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards produced an entire album's worth of material on Johnny Mathis that has never been officially released. Plus, there was a Diana Remixed! recording released in the 90's. Maybe some record label executive said "enough already" and squashed this project on that basis alone. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the studio during that alleged collaboration!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 09-09-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Diana said this herself. Isn't that verification?

True 'nuff skooldem1! But it sure would be interesting to know exactly what songs they worked on!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 09-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    No I'm not. She mentioned it in a UK interview about 8 years go, called "nobody wants me". She played the tracks to EMI who declined to release them.
    I remember this as well. She did say she re-recorded the Supremes songs and couldn't get them released.

bear in mind, this was all BEFORE the success of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, the Expanded Editons, etc..
    I'm sure some label would be interested in this right about now.. perhaps the 2013 version of Motown?

the Nile remixed album was around 2000 , cant remember if it was before RETURN TO LOVE or after. I think it was after she left Motown again ,which would be 2001 or so.
    not sure if I liked the idea of the rercording of some of the hits but maybe on lesser known songs such as FOREVER CAME TO DAY, which I feel never got its justice.
    I like the idea of Diana working with HDH and the funk brothers again
    also I like the idea of her doing a Burt Bacharach type of album or standards, which I think she does well.
    but whatever may come ,i'll buy it. I really didn't like I love You cd but there were some really god tracks on it.
    now that I am thinking about it, I think the Niles-remix set was after RTL and since the tour was cancelled, they didn't want to release the album

Everything Supreme suffered from the RTL debacle. And there has been a very nice turn around for Diana in the last 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Everything Supreme suffered from the RTL debacle. And there has been a very nice turn around for Diana in the last 5 years or so.
    That'snot true. Mary Wilson did not miss a beat and has been working constantly and consistently every since. The Flos never had any bookings in this country to speak of to begin with, but they still get their occaisonal overseas gigs. Diane, on the other hand, ended up in rehab twice after RTL and was arrested once! So I'd have to say she suffered most [[other than those insane promoters) after that disasterous Supremes Reunion Tour aka Return to Love collapsed and was cancelled.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-10-2013 at 11:02 PM.

After RTL Diana made a statement that has stuck with me since and that was she would find a way to reconnect with the FANS. She Did and She has ....Check the reviews of the current tour ......enough said !!!! She always keep her word.