[REMOVE ADS]

WWWW Detroit 1970 DJ booth video footage.

Cool vintage video!

This is too cool! Thanks for sharing jillfoster!

This is great. Stubass should see this. He was working at WWWW at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is great. Stubass should see this. He was working at WWWW at that time.
    I just love vintage stuff like this, did I hear it right, did he call Jerry Butler GARY Butler? I wonder if most radio stations had that remote control play system like that. It looks pricey. you always have pictured in your mind the dual turntables in the booth.

Love the board. When slide pots became popular in the mid 90's, I absolutely hated them.

In answer to the question about the automation system, I believe they collected songs from a number of different sources and committed them to tape because 1) they didn't control all the records themselves and 2) to maintain consistant quality. You don't get cue marks on a piece of tape like you do a 45 or lp.

If my memory is correct, Art Vuolo had a hand in programming W-4 in the oldies format. ARt was very heavy into programming back then, and had a broadcast quality studio set up in his bedroom in Ypsi.

The station didn't last in that format for long, flipping in 1971 to a modified AOR, with....I believe....Ira J. Lipson [[after a long stint overnights as Ira J. Cook on WHFI) as Program Director. It is my understanding that Stu worked for W-4 about the time of the switch from AOR to Country in early 1981.
    Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 09-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I just love vintage stuff like this, did I hear it right, did he call Jerry Butler GARY Butler? I wonder if most radio stations had that remote control play system like that. It looks pricey. you always have pictured in your mind the dual turntables in the booth.
    I have to listen to it again to see if I can pick it up. He talks as fast as any New Yorker!LOL!

I am pretty sure I heard him at the time on the radio as we lived within range of about 30-35 miles. I use to channel or station search with CKLW, KEENER and WKLR being my favorites. This one was out of Ann Arbor I believe. Thank you so much for finding this Jill.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Love the board. When slide pots became popular in the mid 90's, I absolutely hated them.

In answer to the question about the automation system, I believe they collected songs from a number of different sources and committed them to tape because 1) they didn't control all the records themselves and 2) to maintain consistant quality. You don't get cue marks on a piece of tape like you do a 45 or lp.

If my memory is correct, Art Vuolo had a hand in programming W-4 in the oldies format. ARt was very heavy into programming back then, and had a broadcast quality studio set up in his bedroom in Ypsi.

The station didn't last in that format for long, flipping in 1971 to a modified AOR, with....I believe....Ira J. Lipson [[after a long stint overnights as Ira J. Cook on WHFI) as Program Director. It is my understanding that Stu worked for W-4 about the time of the switch from AOR to Country in early 1981.
    Doug you are correct about Art Vuolo.

Art lived next door to me in Ypsilanti at Newton Manor when I went to Eastern. He threw a couple of memorable Christmas parties that slopped over into our place and I remember that it seemed like every second tier DJ in southeastern Michigan would show up at these gigs. When Bill Swisher retired from the Speech and Dramatic Arts department at EMU in 1994, Art threw what was probably the last great radio house party, and every jock who was a second tier DJ back then showed up. Again. Something about free beer, I guess. Some of them by that time were first tier [[not me).

Art has one of best collections of air checks I've ever seen.

Vuolo also put together the format/positioning when WOIA/WOIB flipped to WNRS/WNRZ "The Winners" in 1970. I bring that up because the current W-4 call letters are now used by what was WNRZ.

Remember my old station W-4. Yeah, Doug is right about my time frame. I arrived just as Howard Stern was leaving and during a format switch.The studio in the video looks like what was the production room when I was there, having been replaced with the newer main studio fronting Jefferson Ave.