PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!! Tammi is HERE!!!!

test

DwightTurner
09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
OK so in 2 hours I get to see Tammi on Unsung....I CANT WAIT!!!!! I have it set to record and Im still going to watch it and watch it again..LOL.. Is anyone else out there as excited as me???????

hwume
09-20-2010, 09:34 PM
While you're waiting... Disc 2 [[extended) snippets are up.

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=12431D92-D3D0-40BD-B404-DC137C15A01A

sophisticated_soul
09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
20 minutes and counting!

DwightTurner
09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Ok, so far so good! Its at a commercial break now.. I've learned some things about her that I didn't know already..

hollywood_h
09-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Man. I have been waiting for this for a while. I guess I gotta buy the book !!

DwightTurner
09-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Another commercial break.. it seems like its about to get sad now.. they're talking about her constant headaches.. and hollywood you are right...i have to buy Ms Ludi's book!

sophisticated_soul
09-20-2010, 10:39 PM
What an excellent program [[it's still on), but heartbreaking too.

DwightTurner
09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Ok so Valarie Simpson said that she DID indeed record some stuff with Marvin for "Easy", BUT, Tammi came in and did her part for the album!... Thats what I wanted to know about!

hollywood_h
09-20-2010, 11:09 PM
My favorite Tammi Track is... Come on And See Me

jboy88
09-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Yep, Tat basically settled it for me too. Though I agree that Valerie does sing some parts on the album, I disagreed to the notion that Tammi was omitted from the sessions. As many of the vocals on the songs matched those of her solo work but mainly because there's to much data that states my point. And now having seen this story, I believe now more than ever that Tammi is at least singing a line or two on the tracks.

sophisticated_soul
09-20-2010, 11:26 PM
It does makes sense that if Marvin sang with Valerie during the sessions then he believed that it was Valerie on the final tracks. However, I still think it's possible that Valerie "punched in" a word or line here and there to perfect Tammi's vocals. But ultimately they are still Tammi's vocals.

DwightTurner
09-20-2010, 11:32 PM
It does makes sense that if Marvin sang with Valerie during the sessions then he believed that it was Valerie on the final tracks. However, I still think it's possible that Valerie "punched in" a word or line here and there to perfect Tammi's vocals. But ultimately they are still Tammi's vocals.

I agaree.. Because according to the documentary, by the time "Easy" came about, Tammi's speech was slurred, and she was in a wheelchair.. So how close can one get to perfection with singing with slurred speech. Valarie played a part in the finished product!

DwightTurner
09-20-2010, 11:33 PM
So was Marvin really the only person from Motown that Ms Montgomery allowed at Tammi's funeral?!?.. No other personnel "slipped through the cracks" and got in?

jobeterob
09-20-2010, 11:45 PM
I hope I can watch this soon.

The book is pretty lame; it was much discussed on here at one point; it sounds like this TV show must be better.

There have over time been several discussions over the years on here of who sang what and I think it is widely accepted that Valerie sang a lot for Tammi in the Easy sessions and somewhat before. I think one of the criticisms of the book is that it just wouldn't face this kind of talk.

From what you guys describe it sounds like the TV show is more forthcoming and frank about this.

There are members of SD who are very knowledgeable about this issue; far more so than I; for example, Midnite Johnny. But I think some of them feel the topic has been exhausted too many times. And perhaps that Vickie's feelings were sensitive and hurt over criticism of her book.

RossHolloway
09-20-2010, 11:51 PM
While you're waiting... Disc 2 [[extended) snippets are up.

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=12431D92-D3D0-40BD-B404-DC137C15A01A

HW, I absolutely cannot wait to hear Tammi's live recording. Thanks for giving the fans what they want and have asked for over the years.

DwightTurner
09-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Why is there such a limited amount of footage of Tammi out there? And another point: Its very important to take care of yourself.. YOU know YOURSELF! If something isn't right, go and get IT checked out ahead of time before IT checks YOU out!

bradsupremes
09-21-2010, 12:45 AM
I just watched it and it was heartbreaking. I honestly feel that if Tammi lived, she would have gone on to become a bigger star than Diana Ross and be considered a huge legend in music today. Tammi had it all. When they isolated Tammi's vocal track on "If This World Were Mine," I was blown away by the beauty in her voice. I never heard her voice like that, even with the instrumentals. Sadly, we were robbed of that special talent, but oh what a gift she did give us.

MissLish
09-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Lord have mercy! Will Diana Ross ever be given her due; without the inevitable comparisons to her talents and celebrity? Of course when these comparisons are made, much too often it concludes with Miss Ross being slighted. Isn't this thread about Tammi Terrell?

bankhousedave
09-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks for that, Jobete. It's easy to criticise Ludie's book for not being a history of Motown or the music business, because it never was, or claimed to be. It's an intensely personal memorial of Tammi by her sister, who, up until that time, had been unable to speak about the highs and desperate lows of her life - and who wanted to set the record straight on a lot of speculation and sensationalism that had rushed in to fill the vacuum.

bradsupremes
09-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I wasn't slighting Diana Ross or attacking her. I love Diana, but I was just saying that if Tammi would have lived, her talents would have taken her to the top. To me, she was the most talent female artist at Motown and it's a shame she never got to reach her full potential because she really had it all. She could have been the "it" girl at Motown and in the music world. It's hard to imagine what achievements she could have reached. She would have been huge!

midnightman
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Ok so Valarie Simpson said that she DID indeed record some stuff with Marvin for "Easy", BUT, Tammi came in and did her part for the album!... Thats what I wanted to know about!

Valerie's statement cleared it up for me and it also led me to believe David Ritz edited Marvin's words about that situation.

midnightman
09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
So was Marvin really the only person from Motown that Ms Montgomery allowed at Tammi's funeral?!?.. No other personnel "slipped through the cracks" and got in?

Apparently she felt Berry and 'em didn't put enough effort into protecting Tammi or helping with her daughter's illness. I doubt David Ruffin or James Brown [[not a Motown associate but someone Tammi had a torrid affair with while they worked together) were asked either. Marvin might've gotten into a fight with James since Marvin heard of James' rough treatment of her. Marvin later said whenever he and James were in the same vicinity, he showed respect to James but kept himself at a distance allegedly.

midnightman
09-21-2010, 12:15 PM
I wasn't slighting Diana Ross or attacking her. I love Diana, but I was just saying that if Tammi would have lived, her talents would have taken her to the top. To me, she was the most talent female artist at Motown and it's a shame she never got to reach her full potential because she really had it all. She could have been the "it" girl at Motown and in the music world. It's hard to imagine what achievements she could have reached. She would have been huge!

Her illness prevented all of that from happening. After October 1967, that was the beginning of the end. I don't think she realized that until it was too late.

midnightman
09-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for that, Jobete. It's easy to criticise Ludie's book for not being a history of Motown or the music business, because it never was, or claimed to be. It's an intensely personal memorial of Tammi by her sister, who, up until that time, had been unable to speak about the highs and desperate lows of her life - and who wanted to set the record straight on a lot of speculation and sensationalism that had rushed in to fill the vacuum.

I think a part of me was kinda shaking my head at the Valerie Simpson/"Easy" recording sessions confusion. Maybe it was because the book didn't go further about what was going during the sessions. Now I can hear Tammi in the sessions but it was clear she needed help since you can tell she was struggling but she could still sing her butt off so Nick & Valerie did a fabulous job. I think Marvin and Valerie were both right about what was going on. Marvin chastised Motown for wanting to release "Easy" or even work on it because he felt the label was not caring about Tammi's health and Motown told him this would go to Tammi's family so he reluctantly agreed, it wasn't an easy decision for him.

The Tammi situation changed Marvin's life forever.

brother_love
09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Over all I thought the program was just ok.
I was surprised that there was no mention of her solo project Irresistible.

jobeterob
09-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm not much of a TV follower; can you guys give some advice on what channel it was on. I assume there will be repeats???

I know the lengthy previous thread that discussed the intricacies of who recorded/sang on what songs was supposed to be preserved in the Platinum Threads; however I think there were some issues saving threads at that time and I'm not sure it was done.

I'm not an expert on the matter but it seems to me that questions were raised about who was singing as early as You're All I Need to Get By. But it may be the old issue of many voices being added into a mix as sweetener and they are only there in the most basic sense.

topdiva1
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
UNSUNG on Tammi Terrell was very interesting and bitter sweet. Nick and Val ALWAYS a class act told the truth while giving Tammi her due - you gotta respect that.

I am also glad that the URBAN LEGEND - of David Ruffin hitting Tammi Terrell in the head with a hammer has been finally laid to rest.

Ms. Terrell the beautiful songbird shall be remembered as just that - pure talent and beauty - loved by many.

paladin
09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Just finished watching the show. It was well done, loaded with tid-bits but lacking any specific detail as most of these shows are. It was good to see Weldon & Otis Williams and Ashford and Simpson. I dont know about the rest of you but over the years I have come to take everything "Motown" with a grain of salt. In short it's like watching or revisting "Grimms Fairy Tales" you are curious and ultimately fascinated while all the time dreading the fact that some demon or aberration was going to show up and spoil the party by scaring the living hell out of you.

I never knew she had to go through so many brain surgeries, she was a talented and courageous woman.
At this moment I am watching a very fascinating interview by Cathy Hughes with "Babyface", simply amazing.....

thisoldheart
09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I think people want to believe tammi did more singing than she was capable of. motown certainly had their agenda [[they always had an agenda). i also believe that people like valerie simpson had both her career and tammi's voice to consider. miss simpson chose her career which was intertwined so deeply with the m&t duet [[which were her and ashford's bread and butter). given a boss such as gordy, what was simpson to do?

you only have to listen to "the onion song". the proof is right there. simpson has a great voice, but it is sharper and has more church than the sexier and slightly lower tammi. it is simpson's voice on that cut, no little " punches" or "sweeteners". do you really think marvin wouldn't know the difference? why was he the only motowner at her funeral, and why was he a changed man after the motown machine came in and put business first? remember, his next project was his own "what's goin' on", which was a strong rebuff to gordy and the hit machine he ran [[and that ran over people like tammi terrel.)

what does that mean for all that want so hard to believe that an incredibly ill tammi sang the latter hits that are clearly sung by simpson? nothing, to those of us that cherish them, they are and will always be some of the greatest duets ever made. what does it say about gordy? tons, but nothing that we hadn't already known about him. gordy was a businessman first and always was. 'nuff said!

jboy88
09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I've already given my sediments on the Tammi/Valerie debate and i'm sticking by it.

One part That touched me was when she promised her fiancee's goddaugther that she take her to meet the J5 once she was well enough! I'd often wodered whetever or not Tammi ever got to meet Michael Jackson, especially since they both lived similar troubled lives. IMHO had she'd lived, Michael probably would have been just as close with Tammi as he was with Diana Ross.

reese
09-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not much of a TV follower; can you guys give some advice on what channel it was on. I assume there will be repeats???

I know the lengthy previous thread that discussed the intricacies of who recorded/sang on what songs was supposed to be preserved in the Platinum Threads; however I think there were some issues saving threads at that time and I'm not sure it was done.

I'm not an expert on the matter but it seems to me that questions were raised about who was singing as early as You're All I Need to Get By. But it may be the old issue of many voices being added into a mix as sweetener and they are only there in the most basic sense.

If you go to tvoneonline.com, you can watch the program until Sept. 27th.

jaybs
09-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I hope I can watch this soon.

The book is pretty lame; it was much discussed on here at one point; it sounds like this TV show must be better.

But I think some of them feel the topic has been exhausted too many times.

I strongly disagree about the book being lame, I do not look for a book purely being shock stories but Fact! - I hope to get to see the TV show it will never make it to the UK for broadcast, anyone Please got a DVD copy they can do for me?? I will be Happy if the show lives up to the book!

MissLish
09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I've already given my sediments on the Tammi/Valerie debate and i'm sticking by it.

One part That touched me was when she promised her fiancee's goddaugther that she take her to meet the J5 once she was well enough! I'd often wodered whetever or not Tammi ever got to meet Michael Jackson, especially since they both lived similar troubled lives. IMHO had she'd lived, Michael probably would have been just as close with Tammi as he was with Diana Ross.

Are you implying that Miss Ross led/leads a troubled life?

jboy88
09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
No, I wasn't implying that Ms. Ross lived a troubled life. I was saying that Michael Jackson would have had a similar friendship with Tammi Terrell as he did with Diana. I apologize for any misinterpretations.

midnightman
09-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I think people want to believe tammi did more singing than she was capable of. motown certainly had their agenda [[they always had an agenda). i also believe that people like valerie simpson had both her career and tammi's voice to consider. miss simpson chose her career which was intertwined so deeply with the m&t duet [[which were her and ashford's bread and butter). given a boss such as gordy, what was simpson to do?

you only have to listen to "the onion song". the proof is right there. simpson has a great voice, but it is sharper and has more church than the sexier and slightly lower tammi. it is simpson's voice on that cut, no little " punches" or "sweeteners". do you really think marvin wouldn't know the difference? why was he the only motowner at her funeral, and why was he a changed man after the motown machine came in and put business first? remember, his next project was his own "what's goin' on", which was a strong rebuff to gordy and the hit machine he ran [[and that ran over people like tammi terrel.)

what does that mean for all that want so hard to believe that an incredibly ill tammi sang the latter hits that are clearly sung by simpson? nothing, to those of us that cherish them, they are and will always be some of the greatest duets ever made. what does it say about gordy? tons, but nothing that we hadn't already known about him. gordy was a businessman first and always was. 'nuff said!

You know what? You hit it on the head. I was listening to "The Onion Song" and it's obviously Miss Simpson. I'm thinking if Tammi did contribute it was in the unison vocals with Marvin but then I'm not so sure of that either. Oh well. Tammi IS technically on "Easy".

copley
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I've just finished watching it and it's depressed the hell out of me! Although not the cause of her death I'll never forgive Brown & David Ruffin for what they did to her!

I can't understand why there is so little footage of Tammi either solo or with Marvin!

One thing that the program got wrong was the story that's been around for years that 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' was written especially for Dusty. That's not true and this was picked up by HW in his interview with John Peronne. Dusty wanted the song but A&S said no as they needed it for their Motown portfolio.

Here is the direct link http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/show.asp?sid=902&id=2959

topdiva1
09-22-2010, 05:20 PM

I believe you have hit the truth right on the head - Tammi by this time was in a wheel chair in Philadelphia and too weak to perform even in the studio.

Now having said that for all you fans that believe it is one hundred percent Tammi Terrell on those recordings - then tell me what do you think about Mr. Gordy and Motown - as a company that would take or make a woman dying of brain cancer - after many brain operations - fly her in THAT state from Phil - to Detroit - take her in a wheel chair to Studio A in the damp basement of Motown prop her up just to record a few songs before she died - DO YOU THINK WELL OF THIS COMPANY????????????

bradsupremes
09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm one of those who believes that it is Valerie Simpson all the way on the "Easy" album except for the Tammi solo tracks where Marvin dubbed over. The one thing I didn't understand with the special was that it said that Tammi went to Detroit to record her vocals for the album in 1969, yet it later said that by mid-1969, Tammi was too weak and ill to record. This was exactly when the "Easy" album was being put together. It doesn't make sense. I don't believe that Marvin would lie about something like this, especially when it came to Tammi. I'm not calling Valerie Simpson a liar, but she clearly is not speaking the full truth. Sure she may have recorded the demos and admitted to that, but I don't think she'll admit to going in and recording the final leads.

If any of you have the Complete Motown Singles, look at the year 1968. For "You're All I Need To Get By," look at the recording information for that track. You'll notice that it says:
Track recorded: April 15, 1968
Horns and strings recorded: April 27, 1968
Demo lead vocals recorded: May 21, 1968
Lead vocals recorded: May 22, 1968
Marvin Gaye lead re- recorded: May 23, 1968
Background vocals recorded: May 27, 1968
Tammi Terrell lead re-recorded: May 28, 1968
Leads and background vocals re-recorded: May 29, 1968

***Notice how it lists when Marvin recorded his vocals and when Tammi recorded her vocals***

Now look at 1970 when "The Onion Song" was released. You'll notice under the recording information that it says:
Track recorded: January 25, 1969 – originally assigned to Diana Ross & The Supremes
Horns and Strings recorded: January 26, 1969
Demo lead vocal recorded: January 26, 1969
Additional vocals recorded: January 27, 1969
Marvin Gaye lead vocal recorded: March 15, 1969
Additional vocals recorded: March 17, 1969

***Notice how it doesn't say Tammi Terrell. It just says "Additional Vocals." Whose vocals? If they were Tammi's then it would read Tammi, but it doesn't. Leading me to believe that they were done by someone else.....Valerie Simpson. And there were no background vocals on the track.***

jboy88
09-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Now having said that for all you fans that believe it is one hundred percent Tammi Terrell on those recordings - then tell me what do you think about Mr. Gordy and Motown - as a company that would take or make a woman dying of brain cancer - after many brain operations - fly her in THAT state from Phil - to Detroit - take her in a wheel chair to Studio A in the damp basement of Motown prop her up just to record a few songs before she died - DO YOU THINK WELL OF THIS COMPANY????????????

Being on the autism spectrum, I have the ability to see and preceive things in a different way. The "Easy" album being no exception! I've put alot of time & thought into all the circumstances surrounding the sessions. This is just a condensed version of my take.

I used to think it was all Valerie too, but even then, as listened to the music, I felt Tammi's presence in the music. When I Read that Valerie didn't sing on the album, I initially shrugged it off as did alot of Forum members. However, as time went on and i listened to the Music Of Tammi Terrell & Valerie Simpson over and over, It began to make sense to me. IMO, Tammi's vocals on her version of "This old heart of Mine" were quite similar to those on "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By"! On other Tracks that Valerie is supposed to be singing on, i would randomly spot out some parts that sounded almost like parts i had heard on tracks that we all know is Tammi.

Given all I've heard and read about Tammi, There's no doubt she's on that album. It may not be 100% Tammi but it's not 0% Tammi either. Though it's difficult to imagine her working under those curcumstances, She was determined to finish using her gift even if it was only one line or a whole song.

midnight johnny
09-22-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm of the thinking that Valerie and Nick may have been and still are bound by some agreement....legal, contractual, or otherwise....to never directly divulge their knowledge of what actually occured in getting those Marvin/Valerie tracks produced and completed.
Those of us that have known for a long time [[yes, John Lester...from our ears) that it is Valerie on those tracks have wondered why "keep the secret". I believe that Valerie and Nick loved Tammi, and I feel their integrity is not in question here. But I'm sure Berry was exquisitely involved in how it was decided that this situation would be handled...from a music point of view and from a business point of view. Not that Berry didn't have love for Tammi himself, but he was always a bottom line man, and Valerie was not a known vocal commodity....would people by a Marvin and Valerie LP. And he may have decided to swear Nick and Val [[ and whoever else was privy to the truth) to complete secrecy. Berry was always one to create myths about Motown and I think he wanted to keep this myth alive.