PDA

View Full Version : Don't Leave This Way/I'm Here Again And I Will Survive/Let Me Know I have a Right

test

Livingallalone
08-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Speaking Of Thelma houston, It made me play the follow up to "Leave me" and that being "I"m Here again" and at the same in history Gloria Gaynor was coming off her mega hit and followed up it with "Let Me Know I Have right"

Am I alone if feeling that these songs are direct rip offs of the smash hits? and maybe a reason why both Thelma and Gloria really never rose from the Disco Ashes?

I am more a Thelma Fan that Gloria but mostly cause I really liked the lps that Thelma had made BEFORE Disco became her biggest glory and yet carrer stopper at the same time

Bill

theboyfromxtown
08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Bill

You're certainly not alone in your thinking.

Taste is a funny thing. I guess the name of the game is to produce something as SUCCESSFUL as before and so it's understandable to beleive that maybe if you did the same as last time, but changed it about only slightly, then the same people would buy it and a few more....

But life is not as simple as that!

As my close friend in Manchester says to me, there's nowt as queer as folk!

tomato tom
08-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Back in those days, the "suits", always out for a quick buck, always followed a smash hit with the same formula. They thought we were all thick as shit and would run out and buy the new release pronto. The follow ups were always never any near as good or sucessful. Motown is often thought to be great at this. War and Stop the War Now by Edwin Starr spring to mind,but theres plenty more....Mind you, Thelma could sing The Birdy Song, and id be happy....Paulo XXX

nomis
08-22-2010, 09:00 PM
On Gaynor - its pretty hard to follow up "I Will Survive" it was such an anthem,I like "Let Me Know" its a good track,not standout but coming on the heels of "Survive" it really didnt stand a chance.

Livingallalone
08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Gaynor took her Follow up to 42 on the HOT 100 but houston's Single had to be happy on the R&B Chart only. However Where Houston hit 21 on the R&B chart, gaynor only climbed to 61 on the R&B chart...somewhat odd I find...
Bill

reese
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I believe Thelma's follow-up to DON'T LEAVE... was the old standard IF ITS THE LAST THING I DO. It wasn't a big hit on the pop charts, but I think it did well on the R&B chart. It seems a strange choice for a follow-up. But I remember reading that Motown was grooming Thelma for the lead role in a Bessie Smith film. So maybe releasing a standard was a part of those plans.

After the film never materialized, perhaps they figured they'd go back to what was successful and released I'M HERE AGAIN.

Livingallalone
08-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Right Reese, the follow up from the "Anyway you Want it" was "If It's the LAst Thing I do" [[47 pop, 12 R&B) I guess I meant that the first single from the follow up Lp was "I'm Here Again".

Bill